Monday, August 16, 2010

Online Dreamtime Stories and Excel Charts/Graphs




Today we watched a dreamtime story on http://www.abc.net.au/dustechoes/.







I selected the Brolga Song story and made a concept map on Inspiration where I retold the story.


The 'Dust Echoes' website is excellent - the animation and music are engaging for students and I made use of this website on placement. The fact that words are not used for the clips gives the students space to use their imagination and try to interpret the story. Many activities could take place from here including students making up their own story boards for dreamtime stories.

I learnt that it is possible to do a 'print screen' from video. This is great for literacy - it is more interesting for students rather than re-telling the story in their literacy books. They get to practise IT, be creative and work on picking out the most important parts of the story.

In the next part of the lesson we experimented with making graphs in Excel. For example I made up a graph that charted the amount of coloured M&Ms in a packet. This is great for maths and for enhancing student understanding to visualise comparisons in data. Please see below.

I also designed my own M&M (the one on the right) and imported his picture.









No comments:

Post a Comment